In the United States, soccer is more than just a game; it’s a passion that unites players of all ages and skill levels. The Official US Soccer Federation has clear guidelines for soccer ball sizes, ensuring fairness and consistency in the sport. These guidelines consider both the circumference and weight of the ball. So, what are the different ball sizes for soccer in the U.S?
For our youngest players aged 8 and under, a Size 3 soccer ball is the go-to choice. It’s small, light, and perfect for those small feet. And when they’re not practicing with their ball, having the Backyard Soccer Goals can make their playtime even more enjoyable.
As you progress and hit the age of 9 to 12, you’ll want to switch to a Size 4 ball, striking a balance between control and power. And finally, for players aged 13 and up, including adults, the Size 5 ball is the standard. It’s the big leagues now, my friend!
So, whether you’re just starting your soccer journey or aiming for the top, choosing the right ball size is your first step toward success on the pitch. Let’s explore this exciting world of soccer ball sizes together!
Soccer Ball Sizes by Age – Football Size Guide
Age plays a significant role in determining the appropriate football size. Younger players require smaller balls, while adults and professionals use larger ones. Just as the ball size varies, the Soccer Field Layout also changes based on professional and youth matches.
Key Takeaways From This Soccer Ball Size Guide!
According to the child, professional, and youth soccer ball size chart, there are different recommendations to choose the right ball size. Below, you’ll find the most standardized age groups, although keep in mind that these may vary slightly in your state:
- Soccer ball sizes vary based on age and skill level, with Size 3, 4, and 5 being the most common sizes.
- The Official US Soccer Federation provides clear guidelines for soccer ball sizes, ensuring fairness and consistency in the sport.
- Size 3 balls are suitable for players aged 8 and under, Size 4 for ages 9 to 12, and Size 5 for players aged 13 and up, including adults.
- A youth soccer ball size chart provides guidance for choosing the right ball size for different age groups.
- Weather conditions, playing surface, and the type of game should be considered when selecting a soccer ball.
- Professional soccer players typically use Size 5 soccer balls for official matches.
- Understanding the appropriate soccer ball size is crucial for an enjoyable and safe soccer experience.
|Ball Size||Circumference (cm)||Recommended Pressure||Age Group|
|Size 5 Football (Adult)||68 – 70||0.6 – 0.7 bar / 8.7 – 10psi||Ages 14+|
|Size 4 Football (Youth)||63.5 – 66||0.58 – 0.62 bar / 8.5 – 9psi||Under 10’s – 13’s|
|Size 3 Football (Junior)||58.5 – 61||0.58 bar / 8.5psi||Under 6’s – 9’s|
|Size 2 Football||55 – 56||0.2 – 0.4 bar / 3-6psi||All|
|Size 1 Football||45 – 50||0.2 – 0.4 bar / 3-6psi||All|
|Futsal Size 4 (Full Size Senior)||62 – 64||0.62 – 0.7 bar / 9 – 10psi||10 and over|
|Futsal Size 3 Ball (Junior Size)||58 – 60||0.55 – 0.7 bar / 8 – 10psi||Under 10|
Soccer balls typically come in three main sizes: size 5, size 4, and size 3. Each size is tailored to different age groups and skill levels. Additionally, there are two mini balls designed for fun and skill-building. To make sense of it all, we’ve prepared a handy chart that outlines FIFA’s ball size guidelines and what SUMMIT, a trusted brand in soccer, uses as a benchmark for their balls.
Now, let’s get down to the nitty-gritty of soccer ball sizes per age. The official ball size for soccer and its weight remain consistent, but there are specific regulations you should be aware of. Below, you’ll find the most standardized age groups, although keep in mind that these may vary slightly in your state:
- Size 5 Soccer Ball (Adult): With a circumference of 68 to 70 cm and a recommended pressure of 0.6 to 0.7 bar (8.7 to 10 psi), this ball is for ages 14 and up. It is the perfect adult soccer ball size.
- Size 6 Soccer Ball: Size 6 soccer balls are not commonly used in official matches or standard play. They are larger than the standard Size 5 ball and are typically used for special training purposes or recreational play. These balls have a larger circumference and are designed to challenge players’ skills and ball control.
- Size 8 Soccer Ball: Size 8 soccer balls are even larger than Size 6 balls and are primarily used for recreational purposes. They are not standard for official matches or competitive play. These oversized balls are often used in fun, informal games, or as novelty items due to their unique size and limited use in formal soccer play.
- Size 4 Soccer Ball (Youth): Measuring 63.5 to 66 cm in circumference and with a recommended pressure of 0.58 to 0.62 bar (8.5 to 9 psi), this ball suits players aged under 10 to 13.
- Size 3 Soccer Ball (Junior): Featuring a circumference of 58.5 to 61 cm and a recommended pressure of 0.58 bar (8.5 psi), this ball is perfect for ages under 6 to 9.
- Size 2 Soccer Ball: With dimensions of 55 to 56 cm and a recommended pressure of 0.2 to 0.4 bar (3-6 psi), this ball is suitable for all ages.
- Size 1 Soccer Ball: This mini ball has a circumference of 45 to 50 cm and a recommended pressure of 0.2 to 0.4 bar (3-6 psi), making it suitable for all ages.
- Futsal Size 4 Soccer Ball (Full Size Senior): Futsal enthusiasts aged 10 and over will enjoy this ball with a circumference of 62 to 64 cm and a recommended pressure of 0.62 to 0.7 bar (9 – 10 psi). It is the best men’s soccer ball size and is great soccer ball size for aged groups. .
- Futsal Size 3 Soccer Ball (Junior Size): It’s kids soccer ball size and is perfect for those under 10 or girls under 12, this ball has a circumference of 58 to 60 cm and a recommended pressure of 0.55 to 0.7 bar (8 – 10 psi).
Note: While there’s an official FIFA pressure range, it’s important to note that extremely high pressures may not be suitable for most balls, as they can become overly hard. Players may find it challenging to control such hard balls, which can affect the overall game experience. Hence, we recommend sticking to the recommended pressures mentioned above.
Tips for Selecting the Right Soccer Ball
I recommend checking the official size and weight guidelines provided by soccer governing bodies like FIFA.
When choosing a soccer ball, consider the playing surface, weather conditions, and the type of game you’ll be playing (e.g., match, practice, or training). Here are the tips to follow when selecting the right size soccer ball;
- Consider the player’s age and skill level when choosing a soccer ball size.
- Use a youth soccer ball size chart to match the ball size with the player’s age group.
- Take into account the playing surface, as different surfaces may have preferences for ball sizes.
- Consider weather conditions; smaller, lighter balls are better in wet conditions, while larger ones suit windy conditions.
- Think about the type of game you’ll be playing; official matches typically require Size 5 balls, while practices may involve different sizes for specific drills.
Standard Soccer Ball Sizes
For different occasions, there are different-sized soccer balls, but standard soccer ball sizes are widely accepted in the sport. These sizes are used in professional and official matches to ensure consistency. The primary standard sizes are:
- Size 5: This is the standard adult-size soccer ball used in professional matches. It has a circumference of 27 to 28 inches and weighs between 410 to 450 grams.
- Size 4: Size 4 soccer balls are often used in youth matches, typically for players aged 8 to 12. They have a circumference of 25 to 26 inches and weigh between 350 to 390 grams.
- Size 3: These smaller soccer balls are designed for younger players, usually under the age of 8. They have a circumference of 23 to 24 inches and weigh between 300 to 320 grams.
How to Choose the Right Size Soccer Ball?
Selecting the right soccer ball size is crucial for enhancing your performance on the field. Here are some essential tips to help you make the right choice:
- Check Age and Skill Level: Consider your age and skill level when choosing a soccer ball. Younger or less experienced players should opt for smaller sizes for better control and handling.
- Consult a Youth Soccer Ball Size Chart: A youth soccer ball size chart can be a valuable reference when selecting the right ball for different age groups. It provides clear guidance on which size corresponds to specific age ranges.
- Consider the Playing Surface: Think about the surface you’ll be playing on. Different surfaces may require different ball sizes for optimal performance. Grass, turf, and indoor surfaces may each have their preferences.
- Weather Conditions: Weather conditions can also impact your choice of soccer ball. In wet conditions, a smaller, lighter ball may be easier to control, while a larger ball may be preferred in windy conditions.
- Type of Game: Consider the type of game you’ll be playing. Official matches typically require size 5 soccer balls, while training sessions and practices may involve different sizes for specific drills.
Professional Soccer Ball Sizes
Wondering about what is an official size soccer ball for a professional? Professional soccer players typically use size 5 soccer balls, which are the standard for adult matches.
However, it’s essential to note that specific regulations and preferences may vary among professional soccer leagues. Some leagues or tournaments may have slight variations in ball specifications, so it’s crucial to be aware of any changes or requirements.
What size soccer ball for 10 year old?
A 10-year-old soccer player should use a size 4 soccer ball, as it is the recommended size for players in the age range of 10 to 13.
What size ball do professional soccer players use?
Professional soccer players use a size 5 soccer ball, which is the standard ball size for official matches at the highest level of the sport.
How to know what size soccer ball to get?
To determine the right size soccer ball, consider the age group of the player. Use the size guidelines provided, such as size 4 for youth players and size 5 for adults, to make an appropriate choice based on age and skill level.
How Big Is a Size 3 Soccer Ball?
A Size 3 soccer ball typically has a circumference ranging from 58.5 to 61 centimeters (approximately 23 to 24 inches). It’s the smallest of the standard soccer ball sizes and is designed for younger players, usually under the age of 8. Size 3 soccer balls are lightweight and easy to control, making them suitable for developing fundamental skills.
What Size Soccer Ball Do I Need?
The size of the soccer ball you need depends on your age and skill level. If you’re an adult or a player aged 13 and above, the standard Size 5 soccer ball is recommended. For youth players between the ages of 10 and 12, Size 4 is appropriate. If you’re 8 years old, a Size 3 soccer ball is the right choice to ensure proper ball control and enjoyment on the field.
What Size Soccer Ball for 8-Year-Old?
For 8-year-olds, a Size 3 soccer ball is ideal. These balls have a circumference ranging from 58.5 to 61 centimeters (approximately 23 to 24 inches). Size 3 soccer balls are smaller and lighter, making them easier for young players to handle, control, and enjoy the game while developing their skills.
In conclusion, understanding soccer ball sizes by age and level of play is essential for an enjoyable and safe soccer experience. By selecting the right-sized soccer ball, you can enhance your performance on the field and ensure that every touch, pass, and shot is as accurate as possible.
So, whether you’re a youth player, an adult, or aspiring to be a professional, make sure you choose the soccer ball size that suits you best and get ready to enjoy the beautiful game to the fullest.